If you are an Illinois massage therapist and wondering if this is the year you need to renew your license, it is. And if you are curious if there have been any changes for this license renewal, there have been. Here is a quick guide to the Illinois massage license renewal requirements.
When is the next Illinois massage license renewal deadline?
Illinois massage therapists must renew their licenses by December 31st, every even-numbered year. This means the next renewal deadline is December 31st, 2022.
What are the Illinois continuing education requirements for the Illinois massage license renewal?
All of the continuing Education requirements can be found in Section 1284.90
Here are a few of the highlights:
- Due to the COVID pandemic, ALL 24 hours can be completed in a self-study format.
- Licensees are required to complete two (2) CE hours in ethics (such as Roles and Boundaries).
- This renewal also includes the addition of a one (1) hour sexual harassment awareness course requirement.
- Illinois requires twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education every two years for license renewal.
Okay, now let’s dive into some of these highlights a little more and let you know where you can find courses to complete your continuing education hours this renewal.
Who is considered an approved provider by the Board?
That information can be found in Section 1284.90 Continuing Education
c) Approved CE Sponsors and Programs
1) Sponsor shall mean:
A) Entities approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB);
B) The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) and its chapters;
C) Any approved massage therapy program or accredited school, college, university or State agency; and
D) Any other person, firm, or association that has been approved and licensed by the Division pursuant to subsection (c)(2) to coordinate and present continuing education courses and programs in conjunction with this Section.
For 2020, I did not have to take hands-on courses. Is that still true for the 2022 renewal?
Yes! During a “normal” renewal, 12 of the 24 hours are required to be hands-on. But, again, not everything is back to normal just yet. So you are allowed to complete all 24 hours in a self-study or home study format. I have copied the Emergency Order to the bottom of this post if you want to read it.
But what if you are ready to get back in a classroom and complete your hours? Go for it! This Order does not mean that hands-on hours are excluded from credit. So, if you feel comfortable attending a hands-on or live course, you can still do that and obtain credit for your renewal from approved providers.
How much is the renewal fee?
The fee to renew an Illinois massage license is $175.
Where do I go to pay my Illinois massage license renewal fee?
You can click here to renew your license, or to visit the Illinois Board of Massage website (IDFPR or Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation).
I am ready to complete my continuing education for renewing my license, where can I find approved courses and packages?
Advanced Massage Techniques is an Illinois Massage Board-Approved Sponsor (#245.000085). Packages will include all 24 hours, but also individual courses, and the two required courses – Ethics and Sexual Harassment Awareness.
Can I view the Emergency Order for allowing all 24 hours to be self-study?
Yes! Here is the link to the Emergency Order. The language in it is below.
Heading of the Part: Massage Licensing Act
2) Code Citation: 68 Ill. Adm. Code 1284
3) Section Number: Proposed Action:
4) Statutory Authority: Implementing the Massage Licensing Act [225 ILCS 57] and authorized by Section 2105-15(7) of the Civil Administrative Code of Illinois [20 ILCS2105/2105-15(7)].
5) A Complete Description of the Subjects and Issues Involved: In light of the COVID-19 public health crisis, the Department is concerned about maintaining the health and safety of its licensees. In order to promote social distancing and reduce the risk of virus transmission, the Department wants to allow licensees with in-person continuing education (CE) requirements to be able to earn those CE credits online. The proposed amendment allows all CE credit hours to be earned remotely. Currently, CE credits must be earned in-person unless otherwise specified. The proposed amendment also specifies that online classes are permissible to fulfill licensed massage therapists’ CE requirement.
Where can I find approved courses from an approved provider?
You can find courses and more information on renewing your Illinois massage license here: Illinois Massage License Continuing Education