As the temperatures outside begin to drop, you may be thinking about how to make your massage room cozier for your clients. One of my favorite ways to make the massage room feel special this time of year is to play calming piano music with classical holiday themes.
Michael Strening Jr., recently released a new album, Winter. It is a beautiful album that you and your clients can listen to as you prepare for the colder temperatures, or relax from the holiday stress.
About Michael Strening Jr.
Before we dive into this album, you really should read a little about Michael when you have time. He has a fascinating story about healing and how he started making music for the massage room, which can be found here, Michael’s Bio.
Back to the Album, Winter
The winter-themed piano pieces from this album will often set the holiday mood in your massage room this season. No vocals, just relaxing piano. Sixteen songs span many traditions, backgrounds, and cultures to give you and your clients a full hour (1 hour and 5 minutes to be exact) of relaxing holiday piano music.
Below is the track list for Winter. There are many holiday songs you probably know and a few to expand your holiday music knowledge. I have added notes to a couple of them (it is nice to know when clients ask about something playing). For many, Winter will bring back fond memories as they sink further into the massage table.
- “Silent Night” – This classic is the perfect beginning to this album. It sets the mood as a time for rest, quiet, and relaxation.
- “La Lanita Nana” -A Spanish lullaby that helps soothe the mind and body. It’s perfect to play as your clients are getting settled on the warm massage table with their extra blanket.
- “We Three Kings”
- “I Have a Little Dreidel: – A beautiful take on a famous Hanukkah song for kids.
- “Hark the Herald Angels Sing”
- “O Christmas Tree”
- “Kalanta Xristougennon” – A little known traditional Greek Christmas carol.
- “The First Noel”
- “Oh Holy Night”
- “La Virgen Lava Panales” -A traditional Christmas carol from Mexico. It is about the Virgin Mary washing the clothes or diapers of baby Jesus.
- “O Come Emmanuel”
- “Gdy Śliczna Panna” – This Polish Christmas carol required a little research. It translates to “When the Beautiful Virgin” or “Beautiful Maiden”.
- “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”
- “Pieta, Signore” – An Italian number, meaning “Have mercy, Lord”.
- “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”
- “O Christmas Tree” (Alternate) – The album ends peacefully with this unique take on a classic German song.
Chances are, a few will ask about this album after the session. It is not only wonderful for the massage room or a yoga session, but for listening to on a snowy night, reading by a fire, meditating, or sharing a holiday meal with friends or family.
Winter can be found on most streaming platforms (Spotify, Amazon Music, iTunes, and many others). You can find Winter on your preferred platform here: Listen to Winter by Michael Strening, Jr.
Check it out and let me know what you think!
And, as we all know, Christmas and the holidays are not a joyful time for everyone. I do ask clients each year before playing holiday music. Some look forward to it as soon as Halloween candy goes on clearance. However, if holiday music is not part of their session requests, you are still in luck. Michael has two other amazing albums that you can use year-round to help your clients.
You can read my previous review article on Michael’s other two piano albums (Mist and Sand, Falling Water). They are two of my (and my client’s) favorite albums for my my room in my twenty-plus years as a massage therapist.
You can listen to all of Michael’s Strening Jr.’s music here: Michael Strening Jr. Music